Friday, June 27, 2008

Duck, Duck, No Goose

Well, I have added to my menagerie in my backyard. I got myself 3 ducks. 1 Pekin duck and 2 Rouen ducks. The Pekin is a female named Ivy. One of the Rouens is a male and his name is Drake and the female is Ivy. We took a long drive yesterday to pick them up and had a great time talking about different things. The ducks were originally part of 2 different households. I called on the Pekin and found out that her neighbor was getting rid of her 2 Rouen ducks and thought it would be good to have more than one duck so that the other didn't get lonely and the two Rouen just couldn't be separated :). We brought them home last night and put them in the dog's old crate we used when they were inside, threw some pine shavings down on the floor and plopped them all in there together. I went out this morning to let them out and what did I find? A nice warm duck egg! I guess it would be good to mention Ivy is 2 and the Rouens are 1. Ivy laid an egg. Brant scrambled it up for me (a bit undercooked) but I ate what was cooked and kept waiting for it to taste bad or gamey or something but it actually tasted really good! Almost buttery. I am going to save them until we have a dozen and then I am going to make a puff pancake with them and some rolls (with my handground wheat of course!) We put up a temporary fence around the garden because otherwise the ducks would eat all the lettuce and leafy greens. We got a little kiddie pool for them and they seemed to enjoy that. I went outside several times and turned the garden hose on with my sprinkler attachment and sprinkled them which they seemed to love! They liked playing in the pool but really loved it when we turned the sprinklers on to water the lawn. I included video of them in the sprinklers. Lily doesn't seem to like Ivy very much though, I guess because she views her as competition for Drake. She chased her around all day today and bit her and even though Ivy is twice as big as Lily she let her do it. But later on this evening I think Ivy had enough because she started biting back. I tried putting the three of them in the crate again tonight but the two girls just fought so I put Ivy in a wide laundry basket, I had been using to put my weeds in, sprinkled a good layer of pine shavings and then put another basket on top of it so that she couldn't get out but she still had standing room. Brant has requested we let him get the egg in the morning so I told him he could. He went out twice before he went to bed to check and see if she had laid one yet. I put them in the shed with Rex so hopefully they don't keep him up all night with their prattling. Rex seemed to enjoy the water as well. I went into the shed at one point and thought the dogs had licked him to death but I found out he had run through the sprinkler trying to get away from Jasmine (she was being annoying as usual). Anyway, they are a lot of fun to watch so far and Tyler seems to really enjoy them. I know the boys are loving it. Brant has been outside pretty much all day helping me get the fence ready and playing with the ducks. He also made his own snorkeling device with the leftover PVC pipe from the fence. I also got an awesome tan/burn. Anyway, today was a great day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well i am now caught up on your blog..the ducks are way cute. it will be fun to come out for the reunion! This is really cool kaci...even though i tease you a bit about doing all this i am really proud of you! It is really awesome! Love ya! Terri