Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Germinating in a paper towel.

I saw this little technique on Youtube. You take a damp paper towel and place several seeds on it. Either fold the paper towel over the top or leave the seeds exposed. I choose to fold the towel over the top. Place the towel in a ziploc sandwich bag and place on a window sill. I started some cabbage, mesclun (a fancy blend of tasty salad greens), and broccoli this way. I also chose to label the bag in case I wasn't sure what seed was what because the broccoli and cabbage look the exact same! The clip below shows day one and day three it is amazing how fast these little seeds come out of their shell when given what it needs. When the sprouts are about 1-2 inches long I will show you what to do next. I also included a clip of the Nasturtiums and Sunflowers that I planted in some biodegradable pots. The Nasturiums as I said in my video are an edible flower and taste a bit like horseradish. The sunflowers, Brant has wanted them for a long time, are going to be planted along my back fence. I have decided to not plant anything that is for aesthetic value only. I would like everything I plant to have a purpose. There is a book out there about edible landscapes so I will check the library and see if they have anything. I would actually like to add a "dwarf" orchard. They are special trees that have been created to stay smaller than a normal fruit tree so they don't use as much space. But where we don't know how long we are going to be here I am not sure that Tyler will be up for that. However, he has been amazing so far and very supportive, except when it comes to the animals I had to beg for them but now that I have them he treats them really well. I think he likes it.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

SOOOOOO awesome! I couldn't stop watching last night. So much knowledge was imparted. I loved seeing the growth and the absolute miracle of life. This reminds me of The Lord. How much he loves us and that He gave us the seeds and plants to enrich our lives. Not only does it strengthen us physically but spiritually by doing a hard days labor and eating by the sweat of your own brow!