Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Vegetable Garden and Berries

So after about a month I have some great progress with my garden. This is again just a bunch of clips of my garden till about a week ago. I have planted peas, beans, Tomatoes (Parkers Whopper and Celebrity), bell peppers, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, strawberries, Swiss chard, Beets, LOTS of different types of lettuce, raspberries and blueberries. I used a mixture of what is called biosolids. We got these at the water treatment plant after I did LOTS of research to make sure that it would be safe for my family. It is really inexpensive here they charged $15 a pickup load full. I then added an equal amount of peat moss I bought at my local nursery and rototilled the two things together. I think I needed to add more peat moss though because I think the soil may be too rich? Half of the swiss chard and beets seem to be dying. I am increasing the water to see if that helps. I go out in the morning and then again in the evening and water it with a watering can or a hose with a sprinkling attachment. That seems to be helping but we will give it a couple of days and see how everything goes. I am very happy with my garden and am planning to do even more!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so hooked! I have always wanted to plant a garden and when I acutally started learning and drawing up plans, our lives were upheaved and took us to Texas and we haven't stayed in a place long enough to plant a garden. But when we do, seeing the miracle and the joy of planting your own garden, I will do it. No excuses. But, expect a lot of phone calls with questions!