Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rex the Angora Rabbit

Hey here is a video link for my Angora rabbit named Rex. I started handspinning as many of you know if you have read my blog and wanted a cheaper way of getting Angora (it is about $10 per OZ!!) So I figured why not have my own rabbit! I had been doing a ton of research on the internet about the Angora rabbit, the different breeds, what they eat, how they are groomed, the costs, cages, medical conditions, etc. I found that there were no breeders within 400 miles of where I live so I checked out a local newspapers website and looked in their classifieds. Found 2. One was an English which requires way more grooming for $100, and a German for $60 including the cage. I called on the later to find out why he was so cheap and came to find out that he was a rescue and the only reason they were charging $60 is because that is what they had to pay when they received him. The owners he was rescued from had decided to just let him roam free in their yard for two years and never bothered to groom him or cut his hair. Well, angora wool is about 7 times warmer than sheep wool and it gets very hot for them during the summer. When Kara got him his hair was VERY long and very matted. He even had hotspots on his skin from where it got so hot it lefts small burns. And his nose looks like it has had an injury but I have been cleaning it and applying neosporin to try and clear it up. He is still not used to being groomed but I just work with him a little each day and get him used to me and the brushes. I try and keep the wool around his neck and face shorter because that seems to be where he gets the hottest. We also have him in our shed so he is NEVER in the direct sunlight. We put a bottle of frozen water in there with him every morning so that if he gets to hot he can lay on it. I let him out every night around 6 so that he can stretch his legs and eat some grass and not get to terribly hot. His fur is about 2 inches long right now and it needs to be at least 3 for me to be able to harvest it. I will be posting more when I get to first harvest his wool. So I love my bunny and he is lots of fun to watch him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is this a rabbit or a dog?!?! The thing is huge! So cute, and watching and listening to him eat was adorable!