Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Handspinning- My new Obsession!

So, I was doing research on chickens and came across some video on youtube about handspinning. It looked so relaxing and monotonous (which is my forte) that I had to try it. But before I did I wanted to make sure that I could knit. I spent about two weeks watching youtube video after youtube video, checked out books from the library got some yarn and knitting needles. I then spent countless hours knitting and unknitting until I got the two basic stitches for knitting down. I then ordered my spindle kit! I got it from an alpaca farmer in WY. The kit came with a top whorl drop spindle and an oz of alpaca. I didn't know how soft alpaca was! It is so soft but has a very pungent smell that I did not care for so I sprayed it with my perfume. I spent the next couple of days watching youtube videos and practicing spinning. I was hooked! I started buying lots of wool and roving and have been a spinning monster ever since. I even got some raw wool to process from Greg at Tyler's work. He has a substantial herd of Hampshire sheep. But I will go into that with my next blog. So anyway, here are some clips of my progress with spinning.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So neat to watch, but this is where I would definitely draw the line :)