Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Our Chickens

These are our Chickens! I have really enjoyed having them. I built their tractor myself (with some help from the boys). I have 1 rooster and 5 hens. The rooster and the brown hen are Brahma Bantams, the two black ones with the pokey tails are Japanese Bantams, and the two white ones are called silkies. The video shows a progression of the chickens from day one. I will be posting updates on them from here on out. My neighbors love the chickens as well. Tommie has already asked her husband if she can have some of their own. The kids like to come over and pet them which is good because that will hopefully make them nice. They are about 1 month old now. I am not completely sure. But these are where I have started with my urban homestead because eggs are around 3.50 a dozen for organic which is what I buy. Eventually I would like to order 25+ meat birds raise them till they are at their peak, slaughter them and have chicken for a year! So I will keep this post updated with the new things that are coming to past at our Urban Homestead. By the way, these videos are not in any order, I was too tired to try and get them in order so this first one is a maugepauge of clips.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have always wanted chickens. I actually looked into this a little bit while in Orem. I would love to gather my own eggs and also slaughter my own chicken. I love that you have done it. Your children are learning some of the greatest lessons of life. Hard work and starting from scratch, not buying it from the store! You keep it up, and PLEASE keep me informed on your latest! Such an inspiration