Thursday, June 19, 2008

Making Butter

Okay I know I am off my rocker but I sure am lovin the ride :). So I did some searches last night and learned how you can make your own butter at home! So I went to the store and grabbed myself a pint of pasteurized whipping cream. I washed out a Mason jar I had sitting around, let the cream sit on the counter until it was room temp, poured it in the bottle, put the lid on and started shaking, and shaking, and shaking. The boys and I took turns and shook it for probably a half an hour?? You need to shake it until the solids in the cream have clumped together like in the video, don't shake until it is fluffy like the end video it will go rancid faster. pour the buttermilk out into another container (can be used in another recipe such as pancakes or rolls) put cool water into the jar, put the lid on and shake again. Repeat the cold water process until the water comes out clear. I have read that this is a very important part of making butter. Now mix in about 1-2 tsp of salt (optional but I like the flavor and it actually helps it keep even longer). Then you put the butter into some kind of mold or container that you want to store it in and put it in your fridge. Voila! You just made butter. It really tasted good and I can't wait to make some whole wheat rolls from the wheat we just ground, slather some of this butter on it and enjoy! Very COOL stuff.







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you never done this in primary before? I remember doing it as a kid and we have done it out here every year for primary. Of course we do little jars like the ones you had your yogurt in, but the kids have a blast shaking it (of course the adult leaders end up finishing lot of the little kids). We did this less than a year ago in Austin for a Primary activity about pioneers. Keep it coming!!