Thursday, June 19, 2008

Making Homemade Yogurt

I obviously got a wild hair up my arse because I also made homemade yogurt last night. The process was really quite simple. I took a quart of whole milk and brought it to a boil (180 degrees) and let it boil for 2 minutes, then you take it off the heat and let it cool to 110 degrees. To speed up the process you can set it in a cold water bath until it reaches the lukewarm temperature. I then added a jarful of plain yogurt (with live acidophilus) to a bowl and scooped some of the milk into the bowl and mixed it together. Once it was smooth I poured the mixture into the rest of the milk. Mixed it and then poured the mixture into the 7 jars that came with my yogurt maker. I then placed the jars in my yogurt maker, set the timer, turned it on and left it. 7 hours later I had yogurt. I placed it in the fridge and let it set for an hour before I tried the first jar. You are actually supposed to wait at least 3 hours but I couldn't wait. It was pretty tangy all by itself and quite runny but I added some strawberry jam and a little sugar and it was quite good. I think I will try another jar today since it has now been sitting for 5 hours, I wonder if the consistency will be thicker? If not I will be adding powdered milk to my next batch. That is supposed to thicken it up a bit. Brant tried the yogurt with strawberry jam and some sugar and he said he really liked it. I think I will find a recipe for some good homemade granola so that I can top my yogurt off with that. I think Tyler would like it that way as well, or for him I can just buy a large box of Cheerio's. I will be trying different yogurt recipes in the next couple of weeks and I will let you know how they turn out. Maybe I can use some fresh blueberries from my blueberry bush? mmmmmmm, yummy!



No comments: