Monday, November 3, 2008

More Chickens!!!

I am getting more chickens for my 12th anniversary! I know not a very interesting gift for most wives but I am EXCITED! I moved my chickens into the extra shed we have and installed a light for them so that they can stay warm. I will include a video here shortly. So, we have had a fresh egg every day for the last 4 days! That is awesome. We think that Babs is the one laying them because when we went out this morning she was still sitting on the nest and hadn't laid an egg yet, but we went out later and there was an in one of the nest boxes. I ordered 25 more chicks, although I will not be keeping them all. And the nice thing is they are ALL females! I got 5 Silverlaced Wyandotte's, 5 goldlaced Wyandotte's, 5 Barred Rocks, 5 Buff Orpingtons, and 5 Black Australorps. I will probably keep 2 of each for laying eggs and then eat the rest because they can be eaten as well as be consistent egg layers. The boys really want to see how they taste when they are fresh, I am curious as well. We can have 1 fresh chicken a week for 15 weeks! Or, I can kill them all at once and give a couple away and freeze the rest I am not sure. I called Welp Hatchery today and double checked when the chicks will get here and it looks like the 21st of November! I have my woodchips, chick starter, feeder and waterers all ready to go. I even bought a large drop cloth to use with some chicken wire to make their enclosure when they arrive. I plan on moving them out to the shed when they are about 25 days old. I can put a heat lamp out there for them in case they would need the extra warmth. I am going to bring the chickens inside and see how they do with the chicks and if they take to them maybe they can help me brood them??? I think my chickens are too young for that though. But hey, we can try it anyway. I am very excited and I can't wait until the 21st!!! TTFN

No comments: